The National Sports Council is Pleased to inform the general public that the Gambia Volleyball Association, today 15th April, 2021, signed a five (5) year contract with Roberto Farinelli for the National Female Volleyball Team.
As per the contract, the Government of The Gambia through the National Sports Council will be responsible for the accommodation, local transportation and other logistics required to ensure a conducive working environment for the coach and his team to move Gambian volleyball to another pedestal.
The signing followed some concerted effort a by former Gambian international and Sport Ambassador, Mr Tijan Jaiteh. The brief event was held at the Independence Stadium, Bakau. The President of the Gambia Volleyball Association Bai Dou Jallow signed on behalf of the GVA, while Mahmoud Lamin Jawla, Deputy Executive Director of the National Sports Council, signed on behalf of government as witness.
In his remarks, the Deputy Executive Director of the NSC said the signing is the begining of another progressive development for volleyball in the Gambia. He thanked Ambassador Jaiteh on behalf of the Ministry of Youth and Sports and encouraged him to continue this laudable initiative which according to him, has saved the Government colossal sums of money. He urged him to extend the gesture to other National Sports Associations.
According to the Deputy Executive Director of the NSC, some of the resposibilities of the coach will include the following:
1. Prepare a training plan for the female national Volleyball team;
2. Conduct training programmes for the national female team under a specified schedule both in Italy and Gambia;
3. Prepare the national female team for international competitions during the period;
4. Conduct scouting of players annually to feed into the national female team;
5. Work with the Technical Committee of the Gambia Volleyball Association on the development of coaches at the national level;
6. Conduct annual training programmes for national coaches;
7. Provide guidance for movement of players from one club to another both nationally and internationally and
8. To develop volleyball in schools.
Speaking at the ceremony, Ambassador Jaiteh expressed satisfaction with the collaboration of the Ministry of Youth and Sport in acquiring the services of the coach. He noted that with the coming of the coach, he is confident that the Gambia will soon achieve great things in volleyball.
The signing ceremony was witnessed by the Director of Planning and Programs of the Ministry of Youth and Sports and staff of the National Sports Council.